We want to help ensure your health and safety whilst living in one of our properties, including helping you to prevent a fire.
Helping you to prevent a fire
Did you know?
- 21 people die each year because their smoke alarm wasn’t working at the time of the fire. Test your smoke alarm weekly and never remove the batteries
- Around half of home fires are caused by cooking accidents
- Three fires a day are started by candles
- Every five days someone dies from a fire caused by a cigarette
- Faulty electrics (appliances, wiring and overloaded sockets) cause around 6,000 fires in the home across the country every year
- You could lose the whole contents of your home if they are not protected by Home Contents insurance
Make a bedtime check
You are more at risk from a fire when you’re asleep. So it’s a good idea to check your home before you go to bed:
- Close inside doors at night to stop a fire from spreading
- Turn off and unplug electrical appliances unless they are designed to be left on e.g. your freezer, and never overload adaptors or extension leads
- Check your cooker is turned off
- Turn heaters off and put up fireguards
- Make sure candles and cigarettes are put out properly
- Make sure exits and exit routes are kept clear
- Keep door and window keys where you can find them.
Free home safety visit
You can arrange a free home fire safety visit from Essex Fire Service. To get in touch, use the details below:
Call: 0300 303 0088
Click here to visit the Essex Fire website: www.essex-fire.gov.uk
We highly recommend that you take out home contents insurance, to prevent loss or damage to your belongings.
My Home Contents Insurance offers discounted premiums for tenants. To find out more get in touch through the details below:
Call: 0345 450 7288
Click here to visit the My Home Content Insurance website: www.thistlemyhome.co.uk
Click on the links below to download helpful information about fire prevention:
There are currently no supporting documents
What is a Community Gateway Association?
We give our residents the chance to be actively involved with Greenfields and have a say on how things are done. We provide additional opportunities and resources to our residents, beyond the development and maintenance of their homes. Click the button below to learn more.