Beat the bogus caller
Most people who call at your home will be genuine. But it’s important to be on your guard and remember there are “bogus callers” about.
Protecting yourself and your home
What is a bogus caller?
“Bogus callers” are people who turn up unannounced with the intention of tricking their way into your home to steal. They are also known as “distraction burglars”. These callers may be smartly dressed and claim to be from the Greenfields, the council, the police, health organisations or utility companies e.g. gas or electricity. But remember that official visitors should always arrange an appointment with you beforehand, and carry an identification card.
Fraudsters may also try to steal money over the telephone or by letter; using different techniques to trick you into handing over your bank details. For example, a letter was sent to a Greenfields resident which claimed to be from the ‘People’s Postcode Lottery’ and asked for a ‘processing fee’ so that they could collect their winnings. This was a scam.
How can I check if a caller is genuine?
Don’t worry; by taking a few simple precautions you can help to protect
yourself and your home:
• If you receive a phone call asking for your bank details or for large sums of cash, put them on hold and call the police from a different phone e.g. a mobile phone
• Don’t be frightened to ask for identification and always check it carefully. If you’re not sure, ask them to come back another day. Greenfields staff and contractors always carry identification and will be happy to show it to you
• Think about installing a door chain and use it. Keep the door on the chain until you’ve seen identification
• If you need your glasses to read the identification, close the door before going to find them. Don’t leave the door open and unattended
• Remember to lock the back door before opening the front
• Don’t be pressured into letting someone into your home if you have suspicions
• Don’t keep large amounts of cash in the house
• Remember that most callers are genuine!
There are currently no supporting documents available.
Contact the Greenfields team on the information below:
Connect with us
Call us on 01376 535400 or visit our social media pages by clicking on the buttons below.
What is a Community Gateway Association?
We give our residents the chance to be actively involved with Greenfields and have a say on how things are done. We provide additional opportunities and resources to our residents, beyond the development and maintenance of their homes. Click the button below to learn more.