Rent a Greenfields home
It’s important to live in a safe and secure home, one that you can feel proud of. Learn more about how to apply for a Greenfields home below.
Renting a Greenfields home within the Braintree District
The Gateway to Homechoice system includes information on homes available in the Braintree district and from seven other council areas. Once registered, you will be able to see details and apply for available properties that suit your needs.
If you are an existing Greenfields tenant, we will be asked by Braintree District Council to provide a reference. The reference will be based on how you have complied with your tenancy conditions including; paying your rent, anti-social behaviour history and how you have looked after your home. This may include a visit to your home.
You can register by either:
- Visiting the Gateway to Homechoice website and completing the registration form here: www.gatewaytohomechoice.org.uk. If you don’t have access to a computer, you can visit your local library or Greenfields House to access the internet at no charge
- Phoning Braintree District Council’s Customer Service Team on 01376 552525. They will arrange for someone to call you back and take your application detail. You can also book an appointment at Braintree District Council.
Once your application has been accepted by Braintree District Council:
1. You will be assigned a banding to signify your housing priority. You will be contacted by letter to request documentation to support your housing application. You will be then be advised of your log-in number and password. Banding information can be found on the Gateway to Homechoice website.
2. When your application has been verified by Braintree District Council, you can start bidding on the properties of your choice. You can bid for up to two properties each week. The bidding cycle starts and ends at midnight on each Wednesday. Remember, it doesn’t matter whether you are the first or last to bid, as applicants are arranged in order of their band and effective date.
Renting a Greenfields home outside of Braintree District
To join the housing register in your local area, you will need to contact your Local Authority, who will assess your housing need and give you the appropriate housing priority.
If your local authority is part of the Gateway to Homechoice group, then your local authority will assess your housing need through this system. You will also be able to bid on Greenfields properties through the system.
All other local authorities will advertise and allow bidding on Greenfields properties, in line with their Allocation Policy.
You may also like to find out about:
- Shared ownership
- Housing for older people
- Downsizing by using our Tenant Incentive Scheme
- Mutual exchange (“swapping” your home with another social housing resident)
- Waiting times in different towns and parishes.
Click on the links in the ‘Useful links’ section to learn more about these different options. We hope you find the home that’s right for you.
Shelter help people who require emergency help and advice about homelessness, repossession, paying for a home and evictions.
Learn more about how they could help you or a loved one by visiting the Shelter website here: england.shelter.org.uk
Click on the links below to download helpful information on renting your home:
Contact the Greenfields team on the information below:
Connect with us
Call us on 01376 535400 or visit our social media pages by clicking on the buttons below.
What is a Community Gateway Association?
We give our residents the chance to be actively involved with Greenfields and have a say on how things are done. We provide additional opportunities and resources to our residents, beyond the development and maintenance of their homes. Click the button below to learn more.