A new Greenfields Residents Group with the power and funding to introduce improvements in their communities has been introduced.
Around 25 volunteers visited Greenfields House on Friday, 6 April, to vote on a raft of changes to the way our residents work with Greenfields Community Housing to help the communities we serve.
The changes agreed are:
- The creation of the Greenfields Residents Group, which replaces our Braintree, Witham and Halstead Area Forums.
- The old Area Forums had budgets to fund improvements in their communities such as improved parking areas or new lighting, benches, bins and bins. In addition to this, residents will also be given the power to draw up Community Action Plans and use extra funds to decide where improvements should go.
- The new group members will have monthly catch-ups with Greenfields’ 40 Community Voices, who monitor and voice residents’ interests, needs and concerns. ‘A buddy’ system between Greenfields Residents Group members and Community Voices will further improve links.
- The Greenfields Residents Group will help keep residents informed by taking responsibility for updating noticeboards in their communities.
- Volunteers will be given more information, including updates about how Government changes will affect residents and regular visits at monthly meetings by Neighbourhood Co-ordinators.
- Online training will be available to teach how Greenfields operates and the best ways to bring about changes their communities desire.
Volunteers agreed to all of the improvements proposed by a Task & Finish Group made up of residents and staff to look at Area Forums following a recommendation by tenant engagement experts TPAS.
Regular meetings will continue to be held in Braintree, Witham and Halstead, and the members of all three groups will join together every three months for a group meeting.
The areas covered by each of the former forums have been changed to serve new towns and villages, such as Colchester and Saffron Walden, where Greenfields provides homes.
To find out more about joining the Greenfields Residents Group, please speak to your Neighbourhood Co-ordinator or email NeighbourhoodCoordinators@Greenfieldsch.org.uk