“Smoke alarms may have saved my family’s lives”

“Smoke alarms may have saved my family’s lives”
13th February 2020 Amanda Bhavnani
Julie Bradd

A grateful Greenfields resident is urging others to check their smoke alarms after they saved the lives of her family during a recent house fire.

Julie was asleep in the home she shares with her husband and two children when the fire started outside. It was starting to burn through the PVC window frames into the living room when the smoke alarm in the hallway quickly detected and identified the smoke, triggering the alarm. This activated the upstairs alarm too, which swiftly woke the family and allowed them to quickly put out the fire and prevent any further damage to their home. Most importantly, the family was unhurt.

Julie said: “I never took much notice of the smoke alarms; I know they say to check them regularly but how many of us really do that? Since the fire, I check ours weekly. They are so important – I can’t stress how much damage could have been caused but, most importantly, what could have happened to my family. It doesn’t bear thinking about.

“I think my friends and family are fed up with me because I’m regularly asking if they still check their alarms. Set up a re-occurring note on your phone or put a reminder in a diary please – don’t take them for granted. Thank you, Greenfields, for keeping our home safe.”

She added: “Greenfields were really good. They had the electrics checked and windows boarded up within two hours by their out-of-hours service and made everything easier for us. We could have been dead without the smoke alarms.”

Terry Farrow, a Greenfields Repairs Manager, said: “All Greenfields homes have at least one smoke alarm fitted, and it’s important that you don’t remove or damage it and that it’s regularly tested. Please contact us if you need help with this.”

If you would like a free home fire safety visit from Essex Fire Service, call 0300 303 0088 or visit www.essex-fire.gov.uk

See more about fire prevention by clicking on this link: Fire prevention