Universal Credit

Universal Credit

Welfare reforms mean more residents will claim Universal Credit in the years to come. This page explains what it is, how you can prepare for it and how we can help.

What is Universal Credit?

Many residents receiving a range of benefits may instead be required to claim Universal Credit. This will affect claimants of working age living in the Braintree district.

Universal Credit is paid once a month, which includes housing costs to pay your rent. This money isn’t paid directly to us as your landlord. Unlike Housing Benefit, it is usually paid into your bank, building society or credit union account, so you must pay your rent out of this money.

If you’re making a claim for Universal Credit, please contact us on 01376 535400.

Be prepared

Universal Credit applications are made online. Before any application is successful, you must ensure you:

  • Verify who you are by following the guidance at www.gov.uk/verify
  • Have an email address
  • Have set up a bank or building society account where Universal Credit payments can be made

Claims are made online at www.gov.uk and it can be up to 5 weeks before any money is received, so you may temporarily go into arrears with your rent payments.

From January 2018, the advance loans claimants can apply for while waiting for the first payment will be increased, and the repayment period extended from six to 12 months.

From February 2018, the wait for the first payment should be reduced by a week, and from April 2018, new Universal Credit claimants who receive housing support will receive an extra two weeks of housing benefit payments.

It is likely you will get the same amount of money as you would have under the benefits listed above. However, it will look like more because the benefits, including help with your housing costs, are paid in a lump sum once a month.


We understand that circumstances can change and this may affect your financial situation. We aim to do all we can to help you through this. Please email our Income Team or call 01376 535400.

Greenfields offers support and advice for anyone wanting help to get online, plus free-to-use computers at our offices in Charter Way, Braintree (near Braintree Village). For more information, please contact us.

Independent debt advice is available through the Citizens Advice Bureau on 0344 499 4719 and the National Debt Line on 0808 808 4000.

How you will be affected by the changes will depend on your individual circumstances. For more information on Universal Credit, see our comprehensive guide in the Supporting Documents panel to the right.

The Department for Work & Pensions has produced a step-by-step guide to the entire Universal Credit process, which you can watch below.

Call the Universal Credit service centre to report changes:

Telephone: 0800 328 9344
Textphone: 0800 328 1344

Supporting documents

Contact us

Get in touch with the Greenfields team on the information below:

My Greenfields

Visit My Greenfields

Email us


Text us

07860 024511

Connect with us

Call us on 01376 535400 or visit our social media pages by clicking on the buttons below.

What is a Community Gateway Association?

We give our residents the chance to be actively involved with Greenfields and have a say on how things are done. We provide additional opportunities and resources to our residents, beyond the development and maintenance of their homes. Click the button below to learn more.

My Greenfields

If you’re a Greenfields resident, you can pay your rent or report a repair by logging into your online account here. Click below.

My Greenfields

Our customer service team

Our customer service centre is open 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday, for all enquires. Click the button below to get in touch.

Customer service

Latest news

Learn about the latest from Greenfields and what’s happening in your community. Click below to find out about our latest news and events.

Latest news

Living Wage Employer
Make a Stand