Making changes to your home
You may wish to make changes or alterations to your flat. Some alterations will require Landlord’s Consent. To find out more about Landlord’s Consent, please read the information below.
Carrying out repairs
If you, or someone you have employed, are carrying out repairs inside your flat, please ensure that no damage is done to shared areas or to the structure of the block. As the leaseholder, you will be liable for any damage caused and you would have to pay to have it put right.
Work requiring Landlord’s Consent:
- Replacement windows and/or doors
- Changing/replacing heating
- Kitchen or bathroom work where the layout is going to be changed
- Erecting satellite dishes – if there is a communal dish on the building already, consent will not be granted for further dishes to be erected
- Installing or replacing electric showers
- Erecting non-structural walls
- Removing internal walls
- Electrical works
- Replacement boilers.
If you’re unsure if the works you intend to carry out require consent, please contact Leasehold Services prior to any works being carried out.
We would require the following before we gave consent:
- Specifications of the works to be carried out
- A copy of your chosen contractor’s public liability insurance; this should be for a minimum of £2 million
- Proof of relevant qualifications for the contractors. If you are replacing the windows, the company that you have chosen should be FENSA-registered.
Consent is usually granted within seven days, subject to the specifications meeting current regulations.
If you have had to carry out works due to an emergency, please contact us as soon as possible after the repair. We won’t unreasonably refuse permission. However, in some cases, planning permission may also be required.
Failure to obtain Landlord’s Consent may result in a delay in reselling your flat at a later date and you may incur a fee of £110 plus VAT for us to grant retrospective consent.
Heating and insulation improvements
The Warm Front
The Warm Front can provide heating and insulation improvements to households on certain income-related benefits whose properties are poorly insulated and/or do not have a working central heating system.
Lean more about how The Warm Front could help you or a loved one by clicking the link to The Warm Front website here: gov.uk/householdenergy
Click on the links below to download helpful information about making changes to your home:
If you are in doubt about work you intend to carry out, please contact the Leasehold Services Team to discuss:
Connect with us
Call us on 01376 535400 or visit our social media pages by clicking on the buttons below.
What is a Community Gateway Association?
We give our residents the chance to be actively involved with Greenfields and have a say on how things are done. We provide additional opportunities and resources to our residents, beyond the development and maintenance of their homes. Click the button below to learn more.