We want to help ensure your health and safety whilst living in one of our properties, including helping you to prevent a fire.
Free home safety visit
You can arrange a free home fire safety visit from Essex Fire Service. To get in touch, use the details below:
Call: 0300 303 0088
Click here to visit the Essex Fire website: www.essex-fire.gov.uk
Fire Risk Assessments
We carry out Fire Risk Assessments every five years in our General Needs flat blocks and annually in our Housing for Older People Schemes. This identifies any actions that should be taken to reduce the risk of a fire.
If you would like to see the Fire Risk Assessment on the block of flats where you live, please contact our Customer Service Centre. If you have any questions about the assessment, please contact us.
Home Contents Insurance
Why do I need it?
If you are a tenant who rents, then your landlord may not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.
Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind.
To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, Greenfields have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Ageas Insurance Limited who provide the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme, a specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy.
The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.
How do I get further information?
- Call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288
Alternatively, please visit the www.thistlemyhome.co.uk for more information or to request a call back.
The National Housing Federation is an Appointed Representative of Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.
Helping you to prevent a fire
- 21 people die each year because their smoke alarm wasn’t working at the time of the fire. Test your smoke alarm weekly and never remove the batteries
- Around half of home fires are caused by cooking accidents
- Three fires a day are started by candles
- Every five days someone dies from a fire caused by a cigarette
- Faulty electrics (appliances, wiring and overloaded sockets) cause around 6,000 fires in the home across the country every year. This socket calculator will help you find out if you’re overloading your sockets
- Check that the electrical items in your home have not been recalled by using Electrical Safety First’s online checker
- You could lose the whole contents of your home if they are not protected by Home Contents insurance.
- Do not leave batteries in direct sunlight
- Do not leave electrical equipment charging in direct sunlight
- Limit the amount of combustible materials stored in one location i.e. under the stairs.
- Regularly test your smoke alarms
Make a bedtime check
You are more at risk from a fire when you’re asleep. So it’s a good idea to check your home before you go to bed:
- Close inside doors at night to stop a fire from spreading
- Turn off and unplug electrical appliances unless they are designed to be left on e.g. your freezer, and never overload adaptors or extension leads
- Check your cooker is turned off
- Turn heaters off and put up fireguards
- Make sure candles and cigarettes are put out properly
- Make sure exits and exit routes are kept clear
- Keep door and window keys where you can find them.
Residents living in Greenfields flats
If a fire breaks out in your flat:
- Leave the room where the fire is straight away, then close the door
- Tell anyone else in your flat to leave
- Close the flat entrance door behind you
- Do not stay behind to put the fire out
- Do not use the lift
- Leave immediately and go to the fire assembly point
- Call the fire service – dial 999.
If you are in a communal area and see a fire or hear the fire alarm:
- Sound the fire alarm by operating the nearest ‘red’ fire alarm call box
- Leave immediately and go to the fire assembly point, do not use the lift and call the fire service – dial 999.
If you are in your flat and you hear the fire alarm:
- Stay put. The building is designed to contain a fire in the flat where it starts. This means it will usually be safe for you to stay in your own flat if the fire is elsewhere
- If smoke or heat affects your flat, or if you are told to by the Fire & Rescue Service, leave immediately and go to the fire assembly point
- Do not use the lift.
*The National Housing Federation is an Appointed Representative of Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.
Click on the links below to download helpful information about fire prevention and insurance:
Contact the Greenfields team on the information below:
Connect with us
Call us on 0800 970 6050 or 01376 535400, or visit our social media pages by clicking on the buttons below.
What is a Community Gateway Association?
We give our residents the chance to be actively involved with Greenfields and have a say on how things are done. We provide additional opportunities and resources to our residents, beyond the development and maintenance of their homes. Click the button below to learn more.