Home improvements

Home improvements

We understand that you may wish to make changes and improvements to your home so that it’s just the way you want it be.

Landlord’s consent

It is essential that you let us know if you plan to carry out any work other than that permitted in your Tenancy Agreement, and that you have our consent (known as Landlord’s Consent) before you begin.

Covid-19 Update

During the current pandemic we have decided to extend our response time to new application from 14 days to 30. We hope to answer applications prior to 30 days but it gives us time to consider all applications thoroughly and provide better responses.

How to apply

Please fill in the form at the bottom of this page to apply for Landlord’s Consent.

Once we receive your application, we will assess it and let you know the outcome. It may be that a surveyor needs to visit your home, or that we require additional information from you before we can make a decision.

Our consent will be given where the works are reasonable, won’t have a detrimental effect on the property or won’t create health and safety issues.

Your project may require the additional approval of your local authority to proceed (i.e. planning permission, building regulations, environmental services permission)

If this is the case it will be your responsibility to obtain the relevant permissions before we will give permission for the project to proceed. For more information and to apply, visit https://www.theplanningportal.co.uk

We are unable to give our consent if:

  • You’re on a starter tenancy
  • You’re in rent arrears of over three months
  • You’re in temporary accommodation
  • You’re a perpetrator in an outstanding case of anti-social behaviour
  • You’re under-occupying a property
  • You have outstanding debts owed to us which are not being repaid
  • There is a genuine health and safety concern that may impact on our liabilities as a landlord
  • Not enough information has been provided for the works

If you carry out work without obtaining our consent we may require you to revert your home back to it’s original condition or we may do it for you – both of which will be charged to you.

You may be asked to revert your home back to its original condition at your own cost if you choose to move.

You can apply for Landlord’s Consent through our online form, which is in the ‘Useful Links’ box on the right-hand-side of this page.

Decoration programme

We offer an internal decoration service to our eligible tenants; and an external decoration service to all tenants who live in our homes.

Internal decoration service

Our internal decoration service is based on need and is available on referral only. You may qualify if you’re unable to afford to get decorating completed yourself. There are no age restrictions and once our annual budget is spent, residents are placed on a waiting list for the following financial year.

If you think you may qualify, please contact us.

External decoration service

Our external decoration service involves us painting the exterior of your home every six years. We will also clear the gutter and wash down plastic items.

The service is carried out area-by-area. We may need to complete a survey to determine the extent of the decorating work required.

We carry out this service to all our properties.

Improving your home

We aim to keep our homes at the highest standard possible; maintaining good quality both inside and outside.

To maintain them to this standard, it is important that they are surveyed from time to time to check the condition of elements both inside and outside. Elements inside your home include heating, electrics, bathrooms and kitchens. Elements outside your home include windows, doors, roofs, soffits & fascia, out-houses, sheds, garages and communal areas.

We will contact you when your home is ready to be surveyed. Please allow us access so that we can carry out the survey and arrange for any resulting work to be carried out.

Apply for Landlord’s Consent

    Please complete this form in full and provide as much information as possible. Thank you.

    When do you plan to complete these works?

    Please use this area to upload relevant files. You can upload up to three files, each up to 5Mb in size:

    Please note:

    1. If the work you wish to carry out is external, please provide a plan of the area
    showing where you intend to carry out the work and full details on what you intend to do,
    including dimensions and a full specification of the works

    2. If you erect a shed, greenhouse, conservatory or other outbuilding after obtaining our
    written permission you will be asked to remove them at the end of your tenancy and all areas
    made good. If you don’t do this you will be recharged

    3. Your project may require the additional approval of your local authority to
    proceed (i.e. planning permission, building regulations, environmental services permission).
    If this is the case it will be your responsibility to obtain the relevant permissions before we
    will give permission for the project to proceed. For more information and to apply, visit https://www.planningportal.co.uk/

    4. We will only give permission for electrical work to be completed by an NICEIC or similar
    approved electrician. We will also only give permission for works to a gas supply where a
    Gas safe engineer is being used to complete the works. You will be required to provide
    evidence of their competency to carry out such works, for example an NICEIC of Gas Safe
    registration number

    5. For certain building works you will need to provide evidence that your contractor has
    appropriate insurance cover. We will request this where necessary

    6. We will treat any failure by you to satisfy our conditions as a breach of your tenancy
    agreement. If you make any alterations to your home without our written permission we will
    require you to remove them and re-instate the property to its previous condition. If you don’t
    do this when requested we may carry out the work and re-charge you the cost of doing this.

    Eastlight will process the information that you have provided for the purposes of checking your eligibility to make alterations to your home.
    For further information regarding how we may use, store, process and share your personal information please see Our Privacy Policy.
    I can confirm that I have read and understand the statement above.

    Supporting documents

    Click on the links below to download helpful information about making improvements to your home:

    Contact us

    Contact the Greenfields team on the information below:

    Email us


    Text us

    07860 024511

    Connect with us

    Call us on 01376 535400 or visit our social media pages by clicking on the buttons below.

    What is a Community Gateway Association?

    We give our residents the chance to be actively involved with Greenfields and have a say on how things are done. We provide additional opportunities and resources to our residents, beyond the development and maintenance of their homes. Click the button below to learn more.

    My Greenfields

    If you’re a Greenfields resident, you can pay your rent or report a repair by logging into your online account here. Click below.

    My Greenfields

    Our customer service team

    Our customer service centre is open 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday, for all enquires. Click the button below to get in touch.

    Customer service

    Latest news

    Learn about the latest from Greenfields and what’s happening in your community. Click below to find out about our latest news and events.

    Latest news

    Living Wage Employer
    Make a Stand